- Skifield Status
- 24hr snowfall
- Home Basin
- Current temp
- Saddle Basin
On The Day of Your School Trip
Prior to Arrival at Treble Cone
- Confirm your booking by submitting your Booking Form with the Treble Cone Schools Coordinator,
- Return your complete Rentals Form to our Schools Coordinator two weeks prior to arrival date,
- Communicate any changes in booking numbers prior to arrival (and as soon as possible)
- On the morning of your trip, visit www.treblecone.com or call the Snow Phone on +64 3 443 7444 for an updated report on weather and conditions
On the Day
- Arrive on hill by 7:45am to ensure sufficient time get fitted and organised ,
- Group Organiser to go straight to Guest Services to inform Treble Cone of your arrival as well as collect lift and lesson tickets and make payment (office at the bottom of the Base Lodge),
- All students and adults that have pre-booked snow gear should now head to Rental’s to collect your pre-fitted skis and snowboards,
- At 8:30am, please have everyone assemble in the Snow Sports School meeting area (in front of Base Lodge)
- All lessons leave promptly at 8:45am and will return to the Snow Sports School meeting area at 10:15am
- Half and Full Day lesson students will have a 10 minute break before re-joining their group at 10:25am in the Snow Sports School meeting area for another 2 hour lesson,
- Full Day lesson student will have a 55 minute break (lunch not included) and return to the Snow Sports School Meeting area at 1:25pm for another 2 hour lesson,
- Outside of lesson times, students are encouraged to continue practising and exploring under the supervision of your school’s adults
Please be aware that especially total beginners usually need more time to get to a level where they are comfortable to practice by themselves. With offering a half or full day add on lesson at a heavily discounted price we want to make sure that everybody is safe and able to enjoy their time on snow to the maximum.
What to Bring to Treble Cone
- A layering clothing system works best so children can add or remove clothing if the weather changes.
- We suggest warm underwear, long johns, base layer, woollen jersey or polar fleece and waterproof trousers and jacket.
- Good sturdy footwear is important when walking around the base area, preferably water proof.
- Warm socks and headwear are essential.
- Gloves need to be warm and waterproof, mittens are also fine.
- Goggles (or sunglasses) with full UV protection are essential even on cloudy days because of reflection off the snow.
- Sunscreen for exposed skin and lips (minimun factor 15+) is a must.
- We recommend children have all their belongings named.
Tips For Supervising Teachers and Parents
Keep your group together in one area until you have collected all of your tickets from the Snow Sports Help Desk. Nominate just one or two people to distribute to each person before sending them through to Rentals.
- Bring a cell phone with you and leave the number with the staff in the Guest Services office in case of emergencies.
- Make sure students know where the meeting places, restrooms and cafe are.
- Lost property on the mountain can be collected from Guest Services office.
- Advise students that if they get sick or hurt, they should have the person they are skiing with to get a supervising adult or ski patroller. Most staff on the hill carries a radio and can make contact with the base building or patrol if assistance is required.
- Messages can also be posted on the boards at each lift and lift Operators can call the office on your behalf.
- Have a meeting area and time arranged for children and adults who may get separated from the group. We suggest Guest Services office as a meeting place should they become lost or separated from the group.
- Changeable weather conditions mean that the road can be restricted to vehicles with chains and 4WD. Please make sure that you always carry chains. Check with your transport operator that they are equipped and experienced for mountain conditions.
- You should go through Rentals as one group, unless otherwise instructed.
- Make sure your group organiser accompanies the group through Rentals.
- Check that all students have the necessary equipment and clothing with them before going to the Snow Sport School meeting area.
- Students must be at their designated meeting area for lessons at 8:30am.
When can we come?
Treble Cone is open from late June until the end of September. Our Schools programme is available throughout the season. We welcome bookings at any time, you can book for just for a day, a weekend or a week, the choice is yours. If you would like to set up a programme with a regular time over a period of weeks then please contact us to discuss the details. Whichever you choose we can usually accommodate you. We do not apply any surcharge for weekend or school holiday bookings. (Maximum booking numbers apply during the July holidays)
Why do all the Options include lessons?
All students coming to Treble Cone as part of a school trip are required to take lessons, this is to ensure they maximise their learning potential in a fun and safe learning environment. Our Schools programme is designed to introduce first timers to Snow Sports in a fun and informative environment and allow others to develop in a safe and controlled manner. School lessons run separately to our main programme and start at 8.45am running for 1.5 hours. Our motto is Quality not Quantity; we like to keep our class sizes small so our school group lessons have an instructor to student ratio of 1 to 10.
At Treble Cone we continue to be a provider of NZQA unit standards in skiing and snowboarding and boast the highest qualified Snow Sports School in New Zealand. Our professional coaches will provide your students with the necessary skiing and snowboarding skills to help master any mountain in the world and provide safety tips in the alpine environment. For first timers we highly recommend our especially discounted add on lessons. During 2 additional hours of instruction we will make sure that every student gets to a stage where they can safely practice by themselves. The 2 hour add on lesson comes at $30 and is by far the cheapest lesson offered in TC and our contribution to create future skiers and boarders. If you have at least 6 students that wish to continue they can stay as a private group, alternatively students can join regular group lessons, which go from 10:20 to 12:30, allowing for a wider division of ability and allow small numbers to opt for an extra lesson.
Do the prices include rentals?
We have an outstanding Rentals department who are always ready and willing to help. Renting equipment at Treble Cone saves transporting it up the mountain and our rental technicians are on hand throughout the day to offer free equipment adjustments. We cater for skiers and boarders of all ages and abilities. Treble Cone is also part of the Burton Learn to Ride programme. This programme uses equipment especially designed for beginners and has been internationally proven to achieve incredible results for new snowboarders.
How much terrain is suitable for beginners?
Our dedicated sunny and sheltered Learner's Slope is free of through traffic and the perfect stress free location for making your first turns. As the South Islands largest ski area our uncrowded slopes give your students the space to learn and develop on a range of wide groomed trails which offers something for all abilities. Shorter lift queues, especially with our new RFID system, mean more time on the snow and a great learning experience. Recent trail enhancement projects have transformed the mountain with the creation of loads of new intermediate groomed runs and widening of existing runs, especially our green trail in the main basin. If you haven't been for a few years it really is a completely new mountain.
Please note: Trip organizer to return any unused tickets by 10.30am to Guest Services in order for refunds to be considered.